April 3, 2011

Sunday Project: Independence Day!

So first I guess I should tell you that we love the 4th of July. It is one of the holidays we look forward to the most. Partially because E actually gets time off work, but we are big fans of the whole thing. 
We will start the day with the city parade. This gets more fun every year as the kids get older and have longer attention spans. We generally have a picnic with neighbors in the afternoon, then after naps head over to stake out a place for the fireworks. Our city shoots them off right above the river which is beautiful to watch. 

Anyway, for our Sunday Project today I thought I would share with one of my favorite cake ideas. This is always a big hit not only on the 4th but also at Boy Scout parties and other places where the flag often takes center stage. 

food network photo

Like I said, this cake is uber easy. We bake a white cake (I usually do it in a half sheet cake pan) and frost it with a cream cheese frosting (pick your favorite recipe). We then add blueberries, raspberries (or strawberries depending on what we can find) and frosting stripes. It is so easy to make and the kids love to help with the berries so it makes a great holiday project. Happy baking!

No comments :

Post a Comment