July 12, 2011

Camping with Small Children

As August approaches I'm beginning to think about all the family reunions the boys and I will attend without E. Part of his job description, unfortunately, involves having no weekends off so I often end up being by myself when we visit family. This is usually not a big deal however one of our reunions this year involves camping. YUCK! Ok, so camping itself is not so bad but when you add toddlers/infants to the mix it becomes not so fun. Here are a few tips and tricks I have learned that help when camping with small children.


  1. Disposables - I LOVE cloth diapers, don't get me wrong, but this is one time when I much prefer disposables. Especially if you would need to wash diapers during your trip, watch for a sale and take the easier way out.
  2. Take the training potty - Toddlers and port-a-potties do not mix!
  3. Recruit an Aunt - One of the best helps for us is Aunt M. She is my little sister and still a teenager, we pick her up at Grandma's on the way and she's a great help, not only in the car at helping fussy kids during the ride, but can also help with tents, potty runs, and dishing food when I have way too many people who want attention at once.
  4. Wipes - You can never have enough wet wipes. These are great for cleaning anything from the pacifier that ended up in the dirt to little boys' feet after playing in the dust all day.
  5. Medication - Make sure you take all the medication you need in the great outdoors, this includes ani-itch cream, antihistamine, aloe vera, and any allergy medications needed.
  6. Make a packing list - Write it down so you make sure you remember all those important things like sunscreen, insect repellent, matches, tent (yes, I tend to forget the big stuff), kid friendly snacks, and that all important blanket/stuffed animal.
I hope I'm not the only crazy mom taking her kids camping this summer. Please let me know if you have any other great tips or if you notice something I have forgotten. 

Happy Camping!
A.

2 comments :