December 10, 2015

Diaper Bags: 5 Tips For Making it Work

With a new baby almost here I have been working hard to get everything prepared. One of the things that I have had to spend some time revamping is our diaper bag situation. It wasn't too bad but I have spent some time reevaluating what is inside so today I'd like to share with you my must have in the diaper bag list.


  1. The Bag - This might very well be the hardest part. You want something cute. You want something not too big and not too little. Most of all, you want something easy to wash and stain resistant. Did I mention easy to wash and stain resistant?

  2. The Diapers - Being that this is a diaper bag you'll want to make sure you have 2-3 reliable diapers, like Huggies Little Snugglers from Sam's Club, plus wipes with you at all times. Some people also like to include a changing pad and diaper cream on this list however, as nice as they are, I often forgo these in the diaper bag simply to save space and weight.

  3. The Snacks - This is one of the most important parts of my diaper bag. I like to contain the snacks in a separate bag - something with a zip top either reusable or disposable depending on your preference. Now the important part, what to pack for snacks. For a new baby that's pretty easy, a bottle if needed and formula (we like the individual serving packets), but there are a few other things I would add. First, don't forget something for yourself. I keep a small bottle of water and some granola bars or trail mix. As baby gets older, or if you have other children, you may want to pack something for them as well. Squeeze pouches with applesauce or fruit leather are great options that are easy to feed and healthy for your children.

  4. The Other Items - A blanket, a burp cloth (or three or four), a change of clothes for baby, and extra shirt for yourself, pacifiers, small toys, and anything else you use on a daily/hourly basis are nominations for any diaper bag. I tend toward leaving most of this home with the exception of the first three which have a separate bag in the car in case the ones already with baby in baby's car seat need to be changed.

  5. Meds - I know, you thought I was done after the last one but I'm not. At least at our house, medication is an important addition to our diaper bag. Again, we place these items in a zip top bag inside the diaper bag so they are always with me and easy to find. Our list of meds includes an inhaler (or three), BENADRYL (children's and adult), EpiPen, and adult pain killer. Yes, this takes up a good part of my diaper bag but if I don't take them ... well of course someone needs them.

No comments :

Post a Comment