July 13, 2012

What is Your Best Back To School Tip?

I can't believe what I have seen happening in the stores as I have been out shopping this week. All those fun summer items are quickly disappearing and are being replaced with back to school items in lots of bright colors. This year back to school is going to be a little different for our family. E and I will be going back, for me it's the last time, and B and C will be going to school for the first time. I am so glad to be working with The Write Stuff to be getting all the school supplies we need ready!
The Write Stuff was established in 1989 by PTA moms and dads as they tried to help all the local students get the supplies required by their grade at school. Now The Write Stuff works with parents and teachers to send prepackaged supply kits to school or home so each student begins the year prepared.
I received a sample box from The Write Stuff to help us get ready for school and I love all the name brand products I found inside. As an education student I can see how creating a custom box for my future classroom will allow me to ensure that each of my students is prepared to begin the learning process. The Write Stuff makes it easy to create a kit and then allow your students to purchase the kit at a great price. I can even have the kits delivered directly to my classroom which would save those poor kids backs on the first day of school.
This year The Write Stuff wants to help one lucky reader get a start on their back to school shopping by sending them a sample box just like I received. To enter please comment below with your best back to school tip so we can try it out at the Kerr house.

Open to US residents only. Contest ends 7.14.12 at 9:00 am EST (7:00 am MST). 
Winner will be chosen at random using random.org.
Winner will be contacted and have 24 hours to respond.




Winner - Comment #3

11 comments :

  1. Turn off the TV. Encourage your child to play quiet games, do puzzles, flash cards, color, or read as early morning activities instead of watching television. This will help ease your child into the learning process and school routine. I have my little guy do his homework in the morning because he is so wound up after school until bed with play and sports, etc...it is a nice calm time in the am to focus and learn.
    dapperhouse@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack lunches and check backpacks for homework, papers to be signed, etc the night before :)

    Thanks!
    kimberlybreid at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my best tip for the young kids is to label everything and older kids would be to find the best deals because they always lose everything! Thanks!
    sabrina radke

    ReplyDelete
  4. We start 'adjusting' bedtime a month before the first day. They're going to be so excited it's hard to sleep anyway - so you don't want anymore 'culture shock' than necessary! Decide what time you (and the kiddos) need to get up, then add 1/2 hour. If you actually don't need it, use it for just sitting with the kids and enjoying them, discussing the first day, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have half a dozen kids so my best advise is to start school supply shopping in the beginning of summer. And that includes bags/back packs, shoes and school clothes... that stuff adds up QUICK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is just starting kindergarten, so I don't have many tips to share. However we are starting to talk a lot about what his new routine will be like and are reviewing thines he needs to know right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my son pick out what he would like to wear the night before and lay it in the restroom with the toothbrush and hairbrush so there is no I can not find this. Plus I have him hang his backpack on peg by the door with his socks and shoes so he just has to grab them. We also do not turn the tv on until he is ready to walk out the door after we eat breakfast together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my best back to school tip is to buy lunch kits that are in the bento style. meaning, many small compartments. This gives you the ability to provide a smorgasbord of healthy food for your kid. Grapes, watermelon, berries, nuts, seeds, lunch meats, yogurt, veggie sticks... you name it.

    aigcanada7 [at] hot[mail] dot} (com))

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best back to school tip would be ...

    Make a list and get your child involved.

    Use the recommended or required supplies from your child's school or teacher as a starting point. If you don't have a list yet, check with parents at your school who have older kids. They might have good advice about what is required in your child's grade. Or check our recommendations for elementary, middle, and high school. Sit down with your child and go over your list together. You'll be teaching her how to get organized, a skill that applies to more than shopping.

    Moniquebbon at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have them pick out their clothes the night before so that they won't stare at their closet for 20 minutes trying to decide what to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Label everything! Youll be amazed what gets lost (and stollen)

    Willowsmommy21@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete