August 21, 2012

A New Sensory Toy

It's been a while since I've done a true Toddler Tuesday but today I discovered a toy I have fallen in love with and I have to share. As many of you know C has lots of sensory issues. Things have been getting out of hand again so we have been looking for a way to help him keep himself calm. This is going to be super important when the new baby arrives because I know it is going to be stressful for him.
Today our therapist brought a great new toy. It's therapy putty! I was super impressed with how this simple toy kept C's attention for almost an hour and how relaxed he was while he played. So many things we have tried only work for a short while or he just doesn't seem interested.
At first I was supper worried that this was going to be a messy toy that would get all over in my carpet but I was impressed with the fact that it doesn't stick to things. The boys had lots of fun making it flat and then rolling beads up inside to hide so they could find them. They played with it much like play dough but it was much cleaner AND it did help C relax. The putty we used was a medium resistance but they make it in a variety of different thicknesses. I can't wait to get some of this for the boys! It will be a perfect sensory activity for on the go because it will easily fit in my diaper bag. If your child has trouble sitting still or other sensory seeking problems I highly suggest you try some!

No comments :

Post a Comment